Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Super Spies shines at Valencia test

Yamaha Racing

News  10/11/2009 
Super Spies shines at Valencia test

Ben Spies played a starring role on the second day of MotoGP testing in Valencia today, the Texan producing another confident and assured performance on his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 YZR-M1 machine.

Making only his fifth appearance on board Yamaha's YZR-M1 machine, the 25-year-old continued his seamless transition from World Superbikes to finish with the fourth quickest time.

Spies again resisted the temptation to experiment with different settings today, the reigning World Superbike champion taking full advantage of improved conditions to dedicate more time on adapting his riding style to suit the YZR-M1 machine.

His best la p time of 1.32.942 was 0.5s faster than his fastest pace yesterday and for the majority of today he occupied third position on the timesheets behind Jorge Lorenzo and Casey Stoner.

At the end of a positive and fruitful day, Spies was only 0.414s away from reigning MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi in his 61-lap stint.

Fellow Texan Colin Edwards was unable to test today, the 35-year-old struck down by a virus overnight that forced him to undergo treatment in the Clinica Mobile for a high temperature and low blood pressure.

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team now starts a thoroughly deserved winter break before reconvening at the Sepang circuit in Malaysia in early February.

Ben Spies - Position: 4th Time: 1.32.942 Laps: 61
"I'm really happy with this test. My performance in the race surpass ed my expectations and so did the test. I didn't touch the set-up of the bike again and continued mainly working on adapting my style. I feel like I made a lot of progress. My data guy could see on the computer that I was riding with more of a MotoGP style and each day I've made steps and gained confidence with the tyres. At the end I put on some tyres that had half race distance on them, but I was still able to lap half-a-second faster than yesterday. And where I was running 34'1s in the race I could get into low 33s consistently today. I've been making small steps but I'm a lot closer to the front than the back, so that is a good sign. I've enjoyed working with my new guys at Monster Yamaha Tech 3. It has been a tough year but a great year for me and I'm looking forward to the winter, training hard and being ready to go again in February."

Colin Edwards
"I woke up this morn ing at 5am and felt horrendous. I felt completely drained of all my energy. I thought I'd got food poisoning and I knew then I wasn't going to be able to ride today. But the Clinica Mobile guys said I'd got a virus and I've just been lying in bed all day. It obviously wasn't the way I wanted to end the year but I'm looking forward to a long break now and coming back strong for 2010. I've had another great season with the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team and would like to thank all my guys again for their hard work. They are an awesome bunch. And looking at the times today, Ben has done a great job. He's not only showed what a fast learner he is, but how talented he is. There should be a good bit of friendly Texan rivalry in 2010 and I can't wait."

Test Times

1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1'31.939
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team 1'32.195
3. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1'32.528
4. Ben Spies (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1'32.942
5. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Marlboro Team 1'32.981
6. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda 1'33.025
7. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 1'33.111
8. Mika Kallio (FIN) Pramac Racing 1'33.125
9. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1'33.211
10. Marco Melandri (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1'33.326
11. Alex Espagaro (SPA) Pramac Racing 1'33.345
12. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda 1'33.456
13. Hector Barbera (SPA) Aspar Team 1'34.206
14. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1'34.230
15. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1'34.540
16. Hiroshi Aoyama (JPN) Scot Racing Team 1'35.261

Comunitat Valenciana: Record Lap
C. Stoner (Ducati) 2008, 1'32.582

Comunitat Valenciana: Best Lap
V. Rossi (Yamaha) 2006, 1'31.002



Yamaha Racing Communications
Hoogte Kadijk 61 HS / 1018 BE Amsterdam / The Netherlands
T. +31 (0) 20 330 2709 / F. +31 (0) 20 420 9470
E. office@yrc.nl W. www.yamaha-racing.com



No comments: