Saturday, September 6, 2014

Cleaning and lubricatiing Chain

If you were like me every 500 km trip you made, you will  lubricate your chain. Over time the stickyness of the chain lube, rain, dust and grime will stick to your chain.  This made the chain more heavy and in rease friction with your sprocket. The friction will drag your bike and quickly worn out the teeth of your sprckets.

Today after almost 8000km since I had my chain cleaned. My tools are only with a brush, old iice cream container, roll of tissue and half a bottle of gas.whiile the bike is on the paddock rear stand, I brushed gently the chain after dipping the brush in the gas. While brushing he chain, the ice cream container placed at the bottom of the chain to catch the dripping excess of gas and dirt. This container also will minimize spalshing gas onto the rims and tyre.

Once completed I then put some gas on the tissue and wipe the chain to ensure all dirt are off the chain. Later I wipe dry again the chain with a new tissue and let the chain alone for ten minutes to get the remaining gas evaporated from the chain.

While waiting for the chain to dry, I took this opportinity to clean other moving parts such as suspension joints with WD40. I also moved my footpegs on my R1 a step higher since it I am not really comfy with current position. Once the  hain is dry I tested to rotate my wheels and start the engin. It feels very light and the wheels are rotating by it self once started even if without gears. 

Gently now I sprayed the chain with chain lube while covering the bike from excessive chain lube on the body or rim. I was very happy today once its finish Nd the chain look very clean an smooth.


Now the bike is ready for the next trip. I hope you will benefit with this article as I also learn it from youtube on how to do it8

No comments: